Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Extreme OVERHEATING & Sweating -espeically head & face

mamasitasara - Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Last March, I had a total knee replacement. There were complications due to blood clots and I was put on Cumudin for about nine weeks.

Since that time I have had real trouble with my head and face overheating and literaly running with perspiration. Sometimes this happens when I just go up a flight of stairs - sometimes with slightly more exertion. I also frequently awaken very warm and sweaty. Then my whole body gets so hot I am somewhat incapacItated.

I am post-menopausal - since I was 38 and I am now 57. I have no idea what system of the body may be causing these symptoms and I don't know who to talk with about it.

I will apprecaite any guidance you can give me - so that i can get apporopriate help with this problem.
Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:45 am

User avatar Hi,
There are quite a few causes quoted to explain rises of facial temperature with or without associated sweating.

- 'Bruxism': Bruxism may be defined as "a habitual behavior, and a sleep disorder wherein the affected person tends to clench the teeth over prolonged peroids or makes chewing movements of the jaws intermittently, day or night."
Prolonged bruxism could result in a continuously raised blood flow within the masseter muscle in one or both sides of the face.

- Some experimantal studies have shown an increased facial temperature, esp temperature of the nose during increased mental workloads.

- Finally, one should mention the role of Anxiety & Panic Attacks in the causation of increased facial temperatures.

You must get yourself examined by your doctor who will then be able to guide you.

Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us