Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Tingling in feet & hands, weak arms and legs, fatigue

busymum - Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:46 am

Hi - I'm concerned about my mum, 63. Heavy smoker since age 15, has over the last few weeks had tingling (like pins and needles) in her foot, then both feet. Over the last week she now has this in her hands, her legs and arms feel heavy (she feels like she couldn't hang the washing out) and is very tired and sleeps in the afternoon. This is not like her at all. Her glucose level was raised (we don't know yet by how much) but she had just been eating a peppermint. She doesn't have a thirst nor is loosing lots of weight (although she is on a sensible eating plan and is loosing weight steadily or not at all, if she doesn't stick to it). Her hands and feet feel warm, so there is circulation to her extremities. Can you advise me - she is, of course, going to the doctor to get more bloods done, but it may help if we could get an understanding of what to look for? She was a nursing sister herself for many years (and a very good, old-fashioned one!)
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 am

User avatar Hello,The causes of tingling and numbness of hands and feet would include a diabetic neuropathy,pernicious anaemia,multiple sclerosis,alcohol tobacco,and lead induced toxic neuropathies.The red flag symptoms would include urinary or bowel disturbance or problems relating to consciousness.Your mother may need some investigations like CBC,blood sugar,thyroid status,and screening for heavy metals.With a possible diagnosis of B12 deficiency she may be put on a course of B Vitamins.Do keep me informed.Ok?