Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Facial Hematoma

 JDShor - Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 pm

14 days ago I got beat up. I lost consciousness for about 2 minutes and still can't remember what happened exactly. I must add that I was drunk at the time and am aware that that could be the cause for my not remembering. I received a black eye, blood in the eye, and severe swelling on my cheek. I was in severe pain and experienced blurry vision in the affected eye for 2 days. Now 14 days later I am pain free, no headaches, perfect vision and the black eye and blood in the eye is dissipating. However, I still have a golf ball sized lump on my cheek that is hard to the touch. I haven't seen a reduction in size since the incident. The only change occurred about 2 days ago when the lower third of the bump developed a bruise. Is it normal for this bump to still be here after 2 weeks without showing signs of improvement? Thanks for your time.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your description of the aftermath of the fall suggests a fairly severe mid- facial trauma.
Have you been X-Rayed after this incident? Victims of such severe injuries may have sustained fractures of the maxilla or even the orbit which can result in visual disturbances.

Fracture of the maxilla needs to be excluded in your case.The hematoma may be overlying the fracture and potential for onset of secondary infection in the hematoma exists.Therefore,i urge you to consult your doctor urgently to sort this out.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us