Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Severe headaches from old head injury

ohgawd - Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:31 pm

I suffered an impact head injury (hit head sharply against wall outhang when standing up) four years ago. nearly blacked out, spot hurt for many days and was sore for weeks. In past two years, intense pain/headache from that exact spot has been increasing and sometimes last for days. Family MD says 'tension headache' but it is local to that spot and often reaches migrane intensity sometimes causing vomiting. Had headache on that spot this week from Sunday - Wednesday. Fortunately, no headache today, but the spot feels tender and aching, just like when it first got injured. What should I be asking my MD to look for??
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:37 am

If you have headache associated with vomiting (even if it stared years after a significant trauma to the head), it has to be taken seriously.
The incidence of subdural hematoma in adults after mild head injury presenting with a normal neurological status is approximately 0.5–1%.

Delayed presentations(months to years following injury) have been reported.It is quite possible that your headache is a benign, 'primary' headache.But, on account of the past history of trauma, chronic sub-dural hematoma must be ideally ruled out by a CT scan before considering the headache as a 'primary' headache.