Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: 19 yr old daughter seizures

simply - Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi I am hoping that someon can shed some light on this for me..my daughter who was healthy all of her life has started to have grand maul seizures just out of the blue..she had CAT and MRI and had an EEG all of which have come back normal.i have found the doctors to be just brushing this off he last seizure presented with vomiting before her actual grand maul..she s taking dilantin 300 mg at bedtime which seems to be helping this just seems kinda weird to have an onset this late in life..and help all of the research that i have done points to a brain tumor...distressed mother
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello, simply,

What a difficult situation! Medical science can be inexact at times, and it is frustrating when tests are negative while the symptoms persist. Seizure activity can be caused by many different things, from forms of epilepsy, opthalmological migraines, and cardiovascular issues to aneurysms and tumors. Epilepsy can occur at any stage in life. Adult onset epilepsy often has symptoms including mood swings, depression, episodes of short-term memory loss/forgetfulness, repetitive blinking, staring, head nodding, and involuntary muscle jerks, including the distinctive grand mal episodes. Having a neurological evaluation is clearly indicated; if this has been done and the results of the evaluation are negative, clarify with the doctor at what intervals the tests should be repeated so that any progression of a possible tumor or other lesion can be identified as early as possible. Some neurologists feel a PET (positive emission tomography) is useful when other tests have not disclosed an underlying cause. Medications generally need gradual adjustment until the most appropriate dosage is achieved. Keeping a record of all symptoms, including the seizures, is very helpful in identifying patterns or merely tracking the seizures. Include the nature of the symptom, when it began, how long it lasted, what happened just before it started and any ensuing symptoms (as drowsiness), and any other data that seems significant. Keep the record daily, whether or not there are symptoms that occur. Take the record to all medical appointments. I hope this information is helpful to you, and good luck to you both.