Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Athetoid Cerebral Palsy

 callingearthlings - Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 pm

One of my relatives was diagnosed with Athetoid Cerebral Palsy due to Kernicterus during birth. He was the first of the twins and delivered by normal delivery and normal Apgar scores. On the second day of his life, jaundice was noticed and an exchange transfusion was carried out. His serum bilirubin rose to 32 mg/dl, which is the max. He was kept in Neonatal ICU for 15 days during which he had one episode of convulsion. Other than that there were no other neonatal complications. He had marked hypertonia at discharge from the hospital. He is now around 25 years old and his marked involuntary movements. We have asked various doctors and gone through various therapies.
It would be great if we could get feedback from more doctors about the state of art in this area and if there are any therapies we should look into. We can definitely share more information if anyone is interested to help.

 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Hello callingearthlings,

Most treatment providers focus on prescribing physical therapy, occupational therapy, and medications to modify the severity of movement and enhance muscle control. Unfortunately, there have been no identified fully successful medications for your relative's condition. However, it might be helpful for you to keep most current through contacting the United Cerebral Palsy organization, at 1660 L Street NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC, 20036,, telephone 800-872-5827. This organization can tell you the latest information on the treatment of cerebral palsy in adults, as well as in children. It may be helpful to your relative to become involved in a local support group, if one exists. Your local hospital would likely have the information on such a group, if there is not one in the telephone directory. I hope this is helpful to you, and I wish you all the very best luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us