Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pressure from mid shoulders to skull base w/ dizziness

terrbeary - Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 pm

My 46 yr. old husband went to our GP yesterday for extreme pressure (not pain) in the back of his neck (radiates from between his shoulders to the base of his skull) and severe light headedness. His blood pressure was slightly elevated (130/80). The doctor noted that the back of my husband's neck was extremely 'tight.' The doctor thinks it's tension/stress. The doctor performed blood tests (we're not sure what those were for) and prescribed Butalbital. I am very concerned since my husband is not one to go to doctors so I know this must be severe for him. My questions are, what other causes could there be for these symptoms and what were the blood tests for?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Hello terrbeary,

You likely have the results of your husband's blood tests by now, but I will try to provide general information about your concerns. Tension and stress can indeed cause symptoms such as your husband's, including light-headedness. It's positive that his blood pressure isn't problematic. Other possible contributors to such symptoms include a wide range of potential diagnoses, though not all are very likely. These include neurological/orthopedic conditions such as pinched nerve(s), formation of and encroachment by bony spurs on the spine, inflammatory processes, tumor, and specific infection. Initial blood tests most likely were to evaluate blood count (which would also reveal if an infectious process was present) and various organ function, to rule out or identify potential contributing factors, or to establish baseline information before proceeding with further evaluation, if needed. If the Butalbitol is not effective, there are alternative medications available. If his stress remains severe, he may benefit from psychological evaluation and assistance. I hope your husband is feeling better. Good luck to you both.