Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: MS and B-12 Deficiency

shylee1234 - Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi. I was wondering.. Does anyone know if B-12 Deficiency causes lesions on the "brain"? I see that it does on the spine, but have not seen anywhere about the brain.

I was DX with MS in 1993 when I went completely paralyzed on my left side for 3 months. They did the LP, MRi, etc.. and ruled out Lyme and stroke. I do currently have lesions still- just 2 or 3. But 1 is really big, and seems it has gotten bigger over the years. I have had fatugue, aches and pains, and a multitude of other problems, but no new lesions. I guess my concern is; could all these symptoms I have had over the years been just the B-12 Def, and not MS at all??!! Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
 wildrose - Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:32 pm

I have been diagnosed w/pernicious anemia after 7 months of maybe stroke, ms, panic disorder, etc. I just saw my neurologist last week to review my most recent mri and she told me b12 def can cause lesions on the brain (I have 2: 4-5 mm & 2: 1-2 mm) and since they haven't grown over the months and millimeters are so small to not worry about it & just take my b12 & things should be ok. In March when they did a MRI of my spine there were no lesions. I have severe weakness on my right side, tremors, fatigue and other symptoms of MS. My spinal tap came back w/o any bands only slightly elevated protein (21.5).