Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: MS and B-12 Deficiency

shylee1234 - Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi. I was wondering.. Does anyone know if B-12 Deficiency causes lesions on the "brain"? I see that it does on the spine, but have not seen anywhere about the brain.

I was DX with MS in 1993 when I went completely paralyzed on my left side for 3 months. They did the LP, MRi, etc.. and ruled out Lyme and stroke. I do currently have lesions still- just 2 or 3. But 1 is really big, and seems it has gotten bigger over the years. I have had fatugue, aches and pains, and a multitude of other problems, but no new lesions. I guess my concern is; could all these symptoms I have had over the years been just the B-12 Def, and not MS at all??!! Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
 wildrose - Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:32 pm

I have been diagnosed w/pernicious anemia after 7 months of maybe stroke, ms, panic disorder, etc. I just saw my neurologist last week to review my most recent mri and she told me b12 def can cause lesions on the brain (I have 2: 4-5 mm & 2: 1-2 mm) and since they haven't grown over the months and millimeters are so small to not worry about it & just take my b12 & things should be ok. In March when they did a MRI of my spine there were no lesions. I have severe weakness on my right side, tremors, fatigue and other symptoms of MS. My spinal tap came back w/o any bands only slightly elevated protein (21.5).

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us