Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Temporal Arteritis ?? Migraines?? aneurysm ??

midwestguy - Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:48 pm

I woke up about 8 days ago and notice that the left side of my head was very sore to touch.. it hurt terribly to even brush my hair, water running on it, even the air blowing on it with my car window down.. My left cheek also had a odd sensation, sort of numb and my left eye feels as though the corner is being pulled down, which causes it to water now and then. My upper left teeth seem to ache now and then too. Went to MD, he suggested it may be Temporal Arteritis and drew blood to check for whatever might be causing inflammation (such as maybe the beginning of Rheumatism?) That test came back neg. (normal)... Also suggested possibly shingles, but i have no blisters, and also TMJ, but it doesn't hurt to open my mouth. I was prescribed 20mb prednisone for 10 days along with otc nsaid. Now day 5, nothing is really changed. am very concerned , even about waiting the ten days. I feel i need to be having some tests immediately... I understand there is a chance of blindness as a result of Temporal Arteritis... Any suggestions would definately be most appreciated.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Hello, midwestguy,

Temporal arteritis is a definite possibility based on your symptoms. Bell's Palsy also is possible, as are atypical migraine and a remote chance of tumor or aneurysm. Your best approach is to request a neurological evaluation. It is still early in the development of your symptoms, so complications such as your concern about blindness are extremely unlikely. However, the best result of treatment will come with early intervention, which is why neurological evaluation is encouraged. Don't hesitate to discuss your concerns in depth with your physician, if a referral is required. It would be helpful to you and to your physician(s) for you to keep a daily record of your symptoms, when they occur, how long they last, what you are doing at the time they occurred, as well as any other concerns that may occur to you. Take it with you to any and all appointments with your physicians. It can help identify patterns, as well as the best time for prescribed medications to be taken.

I hope this is helpful to you, and I wish you good luck.