Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Severe Chronic Headaches Fever and Nausea

taytay3880 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 am

Recently my fiance has been complaining of severe headaches and nausea. It started when he was out after 2:30 am working a few days ago and has been non-stop ever since. About two nights ago he was running a high fever. It concerns me because his family has a considerable amount of health problems from diabetes, high blood pressure, and his younger brother has a brain tumor. We were able to get his fever down, but the headaches are much more difficult to handle. Sitting up and laying down have become a chore for him because of how badly those movements make his head hurt. (He says its a contant pain though) Its also been difficult for him to keep any food down. He basically works three jobs and never gets a break, I'm concerned that he's overworking himself, but more so I fear that some terrible could be wrong here.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 pm

It would have been a bit more helpful if you had provided your fiance's age.

Although your concern is genuine, it is too early to seriously consider a brain abscess although the classic triad of headache, fever, and focal neurologic deficit is rarely seen (<5-20% of cases) these days.

It seems probable that your fiance contracted a minor viral illness which precipitated an episode of acute sinusitis.

Acute sinusitis is a rapid onset, short but severe infection of one, multiple or all the sinuses(pan sinusitis) that could last for up to 4-8 weeks. Chronic sinusitis is when it is long-lasting(>8 wks) and recurrent.

Symptoms of sinus headache include facial pain/discomfort and a dull, aching pain over the infected sinus, which typically intensify when the patient bends forward or lies down.

Have him examined by your family doctor if it is still continuing.