Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/05/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Are asymmetric reflexes of concern?

candacepoet - Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:05 pm

On visiting pain management yesterday I was told to see a neurologist because my upper body reflexes were "too happy" while my lower body reflexes were either absent or sluggish. I have gastroparesis/intestinal inertia and a neurogenic bladder. The pain doc said I could be said to have neurogenic intestinal system, and that I needed at minimum an MRI of my spine. My neurologist is on vacation. Can I afford to wait for his return or should I see someone else sooner?
Many thanks, Candacepoet
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:45 pm

User avatar Hi,
As you are a diabetic, the first condition to exclude would be a symmetric axonal distal neuropathy which is the most common type of neuropathy in diabetics. Before a firm diagnosis of this condition is made, one must exclude other causes such as a disc problem, a lumbar canal stenosis or other causes of cord compression.It is better to get investigated without inordinate delay.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us