Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: left sided numbness

matthewd44 - Tue May 24, 2005 1:27 pm

I am a 21 y/o male. About 2 weeks ago, I began to feel tingling or slight pain in the left side of my body, from my head to my foot (similar to pins and needles, although not this intense).

I visited a doctor, who had me see a neurologist. I passed their strength tests and had an MRI, which came back fine (no demyelination).

However, the tingling has not gone away. About a week ago, I was typing and suddenly became numb (as opposed to simple tingling or tiredness) on the left side, with the numbness beginning in the back of my neck/up to the back of my head/ear. It spread to my lower back. It reoccurred for the next two days.

Now, I have the same level of tingling/tiredness/numbness (although not to the same degree as the instance cited above).

I have seen a general doctor, seen a neurologist, and have had am MRI, but havent gotten very good advice.

Does anybody have any ideas about what it might be or what I should do?

In particular, an internist that, based upon a strengh test, she could rule out stroke. Is this true?

Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 24, 2005 6:04 pm

User avatar Hi matthewd44,
When someone suffers from a stroke there are general signs and symptoms evident such as visual impairment, facial drooping, speech impairment, unequal strength of hand grips, legs, etc. So this can be evaluated by a physical assessment along with a CT scan to evaluate damage. If the MRI you had came back ok (no demyelination) it appears that they may have been searching for another cause such a neuromuscular disorder, (MS). Symptoms of multiple sclerosis actually appear, disappear, and is difficult to diagnose at times. I would suggest if symptoms don't improve you contact your doctor for another evaluation and at the very least an explaination for your symptoms.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us