Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: left sided numbness

matthewd44 - Tue May 24, 2005 1:27 pm

I am a 21 y/o male. About 2 weeks ago, I began to feel tingling or slight pain in the left side of my body, from my head to my foot (similar to pins and needles, although not this intense).

I visited a doctor, who had me see a neurologist. I passed their strength tests and had an MRI, which came back fine (no demyelination).

However, the tingling has not gone away. About a week ago, I was typing and suddenly became numb (as opposed to simple tingling or tiredness) on the left side, with the numbness beginning in the back of my neck/up to the back of my head/ear. It spread to my lower back. It reoccurred for the next two days.

Now, I have the same level of tingling/tiredness/numbness (although not to the same degree as the instance cited above).

I have seen a general doctor, seen a neurologist, and have had am MRI, but havent gotten very good advice.

Does anybody have any ideas about what it might be or what I should do?

In particular, an internist that, based upon a strengh test, she could rule out stroke. Is this true?

Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 24, 2005 6:04 pm

User avatar Hi matthewd44,
When someone suffers from a stroke there are general signs and symptoms evident such as visual impairment, facial drooping, speech impairment, unequal strength of hand grips, legs, etc. So this can be evaluated by a physical assessment along with a CT scan to evaluate damage. If the MRI you had came back ok (no demyelination) it appears that they may have been searching for another cause such a neuromuscular disorder, (MS). Symptoms of multiple sclerosis actually appear, disappear, and is difficult to diagnose at times. I would suggest if symptoms don't improve you contact your doctor for another evaluation and at the very least an explaination for your symptoms.