Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Blackouts

Sker1984 - Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:20 pm

I am a 21 year old female in good phsyical health. In the past year, I have experience three "blackouts." By "blackout" I mean that I feel real light headed, I see spots at first, than my eyes go black, my chest gets really tight, and I start to lose my hearing. The most recent episode was after a quick workout (nothing more than normal). The other two happened in my morning shower. I have never acctually fainted. Each time the symptoms go away after I lay down for 10 to 20 min. Is this something I should be concerned with? What could possibly be causing the blackouts?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:48 pm

User avatar There are many things that can cause blackouts, but they are not normal and you need to see a doctor for various testing. It could be neurological, cardiac, hormonal levels (other than female hormones), etc. Too many possibilities to speculate here. Please see a doctor asap.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us