Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Question: Left sided numbness fo left jaw and thumb

Naoise - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:53 am

For the past 2 days I have experienced an occasional numbness in the left hand side of my mouth/jaw below the lip line. This has always been accompanied by the tip of my left thumb being numb or with pins and needles. There is also a slight mettalic tase in my mouth when this happens.
I recently hit my left Kidney area off a door handle and I took 2 solphadene tabs daily for the pain. I am also taking blood pressure controlling tablets every day.
Besides needing these blood Pressure tablets And being overweight I am in general good health and get colds or any regular illness.
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:58 am

Hello Naoise,

have you had daily monitoring of your blood pressure lately? if not, it is a must that you have it checked to determine if your antihypertensive medication still is effective or not so that adjustment to the dosage can be done.

Having a symptom of numbness may either be caused by hypertension, diabetes or a neurologic disorder. But from what you have mentioned in your post, it may either be an elevated blood pressure or diabetes type 2 which may cause this symptom. It is advisable that you go have a check up with your physician to have a hypertensive work up done. That way, complications can be prevented.

MD