Medical Specialty >> Neurology

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Back to Neurology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/04/2017.

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Left sided numbness fo left jaw and thumb

Naoise - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:53 am

For the past 2 days I have experienced an occasional numbness in the left hand side of my mouth/jaw below the lip line. This has always been accompanied by the tip of my left thumb being numb or with pins and needles. There is also a slight mettalic tase in my mouth when this happens.
I recently hit my left Kidney area off a door handle and I took 2 solphadene tabs daily for the pain. I am also taking blood pressure controlling tablets every day.
Besides needing these blood Pressure tablets And being overweight I am in general good health and get colds or any regular illness.
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:58 am

Hello Naoise,

have you had daily monitoring of your blood pressure lately? if not, it is a must that you have it checked to determine if your antihypertensive medication still is effective or not so that adjustment to the dosage can be done.

Having a symptom of numbness may either be caused by hypertension, diabetes or a neurologic disorder. But from what you have mentioned in your post, it may either be an elevated blood pressure or diabetes type 2 which may cause this symptom. It is advisable that you go have a check up with your physician to have a hypertensive work up done. That way, complications can be prevented.

MD

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us