BLM, Blenoxane, Bleo
Pregnancy Category D
Mechanism of action
Inhibits DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis in susceptible cells, preventing cell division; cell cycle phase-specific agent with major effects in G2 and M phases.
- Palliative treatment of squamous cell carcinoma, lymphomas, testicular carcinoma, alone or in combination with other drugs
- Allergy to bleomycin sulfate
- GI: Hepatic toxicity, stomatitis, vomiting, anorexia, weight loss
- Respiratory: Dyspnea, rales, pneumonitis, pulmonary fibrosis
- GU: Renal toxicity
- Dermatologic: Rash, striae, vesiculation, hyperpigmentation, skin tenderness, hyperkeratosis, nail changes, alopecia, pruritis
- Hypersensitivity: Idiosyncratic reaction similar to anaphylaxis: hypotension, mental confusion, fever, chills, wheezing (especially in lymphoma patients, 1% occurrence)
- Other: Fever, chills
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.