Adrucil, Efudex, Fluoroplex
Pregnancy Category D
Mechanism of action
Inhibits thymidylate synthetase, leading to inhibition of DNA synthesis and cell death.
- Palliative management of carcinoma of the colon, rectum, breast, stomach, pancreas in selected patients considered incurable by surgery or other means (parenteral)
- Topical treatment of multiple actinic or solar keratoses
- Topical treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma
Unlabeled use: topical treatment of condylomata acuminata
Orphan drug uses: in combination with interferon alpha 2-a recombinant for esophageal and advanced colorectal carcinoma; with leucovorin for colon/rectum metastatic adenocarcinoma Use caution in the presence of bone marrow suppression, radiation therapy.
- Allergy to fluorouracil
- Poor nutritional status
- Serious infections
- Hematopoietic depression secondary to radiation or chemotherapy
- Impaired liver function
- CNS: Lethargy, malaise, weakness, euphoria, acute cerebellar syndrome, photophobia, lacrimation, decreased vision, nystagmus, diplopia
- GI: Diarrhea, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, cramps, enteritis, duodenal ulcer, duodenitis, gastritis, glossitis, stomatitis, pharyngitis, esophagopharyngitis
- CV: Myocardial ischemia, angina
- Hematologic: Leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, elevations in alkaline phosphatase, serum transaminase, serum bilirubin, lactic dehydrogenase
- Dermatologic: Alopecia, dermatitis, maculopapular rash, photosensitivity, nail changes including nail loss, dry skin, fissures
- Other: Fever, epistaxis
- Hematologic: Leukocytosis, thrombocytopenia, toxic granulation, eosinophilia
- Local: Local pain, pruritus, hyperpigmentation, irritation, inflammation and burning at the site of application, allergic contact dermatitis, scarring, soreness, tenderness, suppuration, scaling and swelling
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.