Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Tumor in my sister's stomach - am I at risk?

Gypsy - Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:14 pm

My sister had a tumor in her stomach removed. The doctor told me that I would be the next one in line to have a tumor. They stated that the next girl born after the one that had the tumor & that would be me! Do you know any symptoms that I would possibly have if I did have a tumor in my stomach are?

Thak you!

Gypsy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:48 am

User avatar Hi Gypsy,
Did you sister have Ovarian Cancer? There is a higher risk in some forms of cancer including Ovarian Cancer that suggests a heredity factor. Some of symptoms that may be associated with Ovarian Cancer are abdominal pressure, fullness, swelling or bloating, urinary urgency, pelvic discomfort or pain, persistent indigestion, gas or nausea, unexplained changes in bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation, loss of appetite, unexplained weight loss or gain, increased abdominal girth or clothes fitting tighter around your waist, pain during intercourse, fatigue, back pain, menstrual irregularities, etc. etc. It would be almost impossible to say that a person is definitely going to be or not going to be ever diagnosed with cancer based only on the fact that one family member has cancer. It is possible to say that due to the heredity factor of certain types of cancer that risks are raised in other family members.