Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lump on my xiphoid process

tityikw - Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:15 am

I also noticed a lump on my xiphoid process, and it seems to be hard and definitely attached to the sternum. It doesn't hurt. Should I worry or is this mostly benign? There are no sternum problems in my family history. Could lifting weight cause this problem? Thanks for any help.

Eddie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:45 am

User avatar Eddie,
Your situation is similiar to Jarik's in that it may very well be a benign condition but it is one that requires examination and possibly investigation. A biopsy may be required to confirm the benign nature of the lump.
 tityikw - Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:23 am

Thanks, Doc. Now does a biopsy require the lump be removed first? And if yes, is it a minor or major surgery?

Eddie