Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Golf Ball size lump under arm pit

 seraphim - Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 pm

I'm a 20 year old female, I'm overweight. I'm 5'6 and 200lbs.
Just recently, while I was showering, I realised my left armpit hurt, like it was bruised, when I got out I touched and it felt like it was swollen. When I got back home at night, I couldn't really close my arm, the lump got in the way, I don't know what it is. IT's about the size of a golf ball on my arm pit (left arm). I've been under a lot of stress lately, and haven't felt so good, I hope it's because of that. Would anyone happen to know if it might be cancer?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:47 am

User avatar Hello seraphim,
Thank you for using The Doctor's Lounge.
Assuming that this is a lymph node enlargement in the left armpit (axilla), here are a few thoughts:
The axillary lymph nodes draing the arm, thoracic wall, breast. As such inflammation, infections as well as cancers from these areas would cause its growth in size.
Its size in your case is significant since it seems to be quite large. This can happen with infection or cancer.
Now let me address the pain and tenderness which are usually not associated with cancer but more likely are indicative of infection.
Another point in your favor is your age, being younger than 40 years decreases the overall likelyhood of your lymph node being cancer.
I would recommend that you seek medical attention as the only way to exclude the more serious causes would be by clinical evaluation. You would also probably need a course of antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs that your doctor will prescribe. You will be observed for a period of 3 to 4 weeks where upon if the lymph node does not subside you will require further evaluation.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us