Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: What conditions in epididymus do not transluminate?

ORTJ - Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:35 pm

I've had scrotal pain for a couple of months that comes and goes. Recently I can feel a small mass above my left testicle. I've had a cyst on the right side for years and I know how a flashlight can be shined thru to confirm it is a cyst (it's what the urologist did at the time). I've done the same on the left and I can see a more solid area that's clearly outside the testicle and seems to be in the epididymus. I can roll it between finger and thumb and it is sore and seems fairly solid. I've also read that TC in the epididymus is rare, or seems to be. What else in that area would not be translucent? Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:36 pm

The transillumination test is commonly used in the diagnosis of a palpable testicular mass.

It should be doe while the room is darken then the light source is applied first to normal testicle which should not transilluminate.

Next the light source is applied to where there is scrotal enlargement.
- If it transilluminates, it contains a serous-fluid and a hydrocele or spermatocele are the cause.

A mass that does not transilluminate could be.
1- Inguinal Hernia: Usually, it causes pain and may be a bulge when standing upright, movement, or bearing down are present.
2- Varicocele: is a dilatation of the veins within the scrotum. Varicoceles are commonly seen on the left side.
3- Testicular tumor usually affects only one testicle. It rarely present with pain or discomfort in a testicle or the scrotum. Typically, testicular cancer produces a painless swelling of one testicle.
4- Hematoma (blood)

US will further help in the diagnosis.

Clinical history and direct physical examination are essential in the diagnosis.