Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: i have a soft lump on my right testicle

winston - Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:59 am

i have a soft lump on my right testicle. i only found it last night. it is only slightly sore when i squeeze it. it is situated on the top of it. i havent plucked up the courage to tell mt dad, so could you help me?
thanks,
winston
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:47 pm

In most men, one testicle is slightly larger than the other.

Possible causes of scrotal swelling include inguinal hernia, , hydrocele, varicocele and cancer. Other causes that are less common in adults include lymphedema, and a spermatocele.

- A varicocele is a dilatation of the veins within the scrotum. Varicoceles are commonly seen on the left side than in the right due to different anatomic factors. Varicocele can lead to discomfort around the testicle, rather than actual pain in the testicle itself and are tender ro feel.

- A hydrocele is a bag of clear fluid that collects in a sac around the testicle and may be the result of a direct injury. Alternatively, it can occur spontaneously in the remnants of an embryonic sac that remains formed around the testicle from birth.

Small hydroceles may hardly be noticed and often resolve without treatment.

- Hernia: It Occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin. Usually, the pain and may be a bulge when standing upright, movement, or bearing down are present.

Direct clinical examination is essential.