Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Ongoing pain in right testicle

Merago - Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 am

In September last year, I developed a pain in my right testicle. I check myself regularly and found no lumps. I went to see my doctor who prescribed me antibiotics to deal with epididymitis. The antibiotics didn't seem to help much, so I went to visit the GUM clinic. They took a swab and a urine sample but could find no signs of infection. I was given a course of a different antibiotic, again to treat epididymitis. This took the swelling down in my testicle (as it had swollen a little), which the doctor seemed pleased with when I returned a couple of weeks later (I assume the doctor was concerned about the possibility of testicular cancer, but that the swelling going down alleviated these fears a little?). In all I did a 5 week course of the antibiotics and the pain never fully went away (it did dull a bit, but never left completely). I was then referred for an ultrasound scan (which I am still awaiting).
Last week, during one of my regular checks, I did find a lump. Though, it was more like a continuous line going along my right testicle. I saw a doctor who said that he felt that it was very likely a varicocele, but that it would be impossible to tell until the ultrasound had been done.
I am just wanting to know if this sounds like cancer to anyone, or if the pain could be caused by the varicocele? My scan is a week away, and I have to confess I'm getting a little nervous.
 Merago - Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:56 pm

I got an earlier ultrasound appointment. So I thought I'd post the results.
No cancer (to answer my question above), but no sign of anything that's causing the pain. A few varicoceles were present, but they're not the cause of the pain apparently.