Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Ongoing pain in right testicle

Merago - Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 am

Hello,

In September last year, I developed a pain in my right testicle. I check myself regularly and found no lumps. I went to see my doctor who prescribed me antibiotics to deal with epididymitis. The antibiotics didn't seem to help much, so I went to visit the GUM clinic. They took a swab and a urine sample but could find no signs of infection. I was given a course of a different antibiotic, again to treat epididymitis. This took the swelling down in my testicle (as it had swollen a little), which the doctor seemed pleased with when I returned a couple of weeks later (I assume the doctor was concerned about the possibility of testicular cancer, but that the swelling going down alleviated these fears a little?). In all I did a 5 week course of the antibiotics and the pain never fully went away (it did dull a bit, but never left completely). I was then referred for an ultrasound scan (which I am still awaiting).
Last week, during one of my regular checks, I did find a lump. Though, it was more like a continuous line going along my right testicle. I saw a doctor who said that he felt that it was very likely a varicocele, but that it would be impossible to tell until the ultrasound had been done.
I am just wanting to know if this sounds like cancer to anyone, or if the pain could be caused by the varicocele? My scan is a week away, and I have to confess I'm getting a little nervous.
 Merago - Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:56 pm

I got an earlier ultrasound appointment. So I thought I'd post the results.
No cancer (to answer my question above), but no sign of anything that's causing the pain. A few varicoceles were present, but they're not the cause of the pain apparently.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us