Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Armpit Lumps? don't know what they are!?

gcschi22 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site... I'm a 19 year old male and have only had one surgery in my life on my hand about 1 year ago. The other day while I was working out I noticed that I have a marble sized lump under my left armpit, it seems like its attached to something like a ligement of some sort.. it usually only shows when I put my arm up and sort of flex.. Today I worked out, and did the same thing ( put my arm over my head and kind of flexed) and there were 2 lumps. They are not painful at all, and to the touch are soft. The right arm has the same thing but not nearly as large. I came on this site looking for an opinion on what I should do? I was thinking of going to get them checked out but if it's completly normal I don't want to waste time and money. Please help if you can. Thank You.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:13 am

User avatar Hello,

The axillary lymph nodes are located in the axillae (arm pits). They drain the arm, thoracic wall, breast. Common causes of enlargement include infections, cat-scratch disease, lymphoma, breast cancer, silicone implants, brucellosis, melanoma.

The presence of multiple enlargements should prompt a visit to the doctor. I don't think that you would be waisting your time or money to have it checked. I certainly hope they turn out to be normal.

Keep us updated.
 gcschi22 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Could tell me what to expect when I visit the doctor? Such as tests or things they may do?
 gcschi22 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:13 pm

Also, my mom and I were looking for a doctor today, is there a certain type I should visit?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:56 am

User avatar Your family doctor will do just fine. He will want to examine you first. If he does feel a need for further investigation he may order a few lab tests, alternatively he may decide to follow up your case and schedule another visit at a later time.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us