Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Armpit Lumps? don't know what they are!?

gcschi22 - Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site... I'm a 19 year old male and have only had one surgery in my life on my hand about 1 year ago. The other day while I was working out I noticed that I have a marble sized lump under my left armpit, it seems like its attached to something like a ligement of some sort.. it usually only shows when I put my arm up and sort of flex.. Today I worked out, and did the same thing ( put my arm over my head and kind of flexed) and there were 2 lumps. They are not painful at all, and to the touch are soft. The right arm has the same thing but not nearly as large. I came on this site looking for an opinion on what I should do? I was thinking of going to get them checked out but if it's completly normal I don't want to waste time and money. Please help if you can. Thank You.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:13 am

The axillary lymph nodes are located in the axillae (arm pits). They drain the arm, thoracic wall, breast. Common causes of enlargement include infections, cat-scratch disease, lymphoma, breast cancer, silicone implants, brucellosis, melanoma.

The presence of multiple enlargements should prompt a visit to the doctor. I don't think that you would be waisting your time or money to have it checked. I certainly hope they turn out to be normal.

Keep us updated.
 gcschi22 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Could tell me what to expect when I visit the doctor? Such as tests or things they may do?
 gcschi22 - Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:13 pm

Also, my mom and I were looking for a doctor today, is there a certain type I should visit?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:56 am

User avatar Your family doctor will do just fine. He will want to examine you first. If he does feel a need for further investigation he may order a few lab tests, alternatively he may decide to follow up your case and schedule another visit at a later time.