Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts

tink424 - Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:12 am

Hello - I am wondering if anyone can offer me any advice, my grandfather is 82 & was diagnosed with Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts this past november. He has otherwise led a very healthy life, & is just as sharp mentally as he was in his 20's.
He is currently taking 3 units of blood in transfusion every 3 to 4 weeks. His doctor has said he will keep treating him until my grandfather wants to stop. The thing is, I don't know what the average survival time is for this disease. I know it is terminal - & we believe he has had it for a t least 3 years... with no treatment.
We have a strong family history of cancer, but not in my grandather's ancestors. Apart from the transfusions, he is on no medication, & has never had surgery.
Does anyone know how long he may live, a silly wuestion i know....
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 12, 2006 5:01 pm

User avatar Hello,

Patients with refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts have a median survival of five years.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us