Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: left testicle really big

kenrex - Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:51 am

Hi,

I am 23 years old, male. I have had an enlarged left testicle for my whole life and never got it checked out. It is at least 5 times larger than my right and is not the shape of a ball. infact, it is more like a clutter of bumps, and looks like a brain if you can imagine. I'm honestly too scared to get it checked out since I had it my whole life and it doesnt seem to bother me. However, I would like to know what this could be. thanks....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:19 am

User avatar Hi kenrex,
There are many conditions aside from cancer that may cause testicular enlargement. For example, a varicocele, enlarged veins in the scrotum, typically affects the left side, feels much like a "bag of worms". Hydroceles, if the scrotum is full of clear fluid it can be easily demonstrated by shining a flashlight through the enlarged portion and it becomes transilluminated. Inguinal hernias also may cause scrotal enlargement. Regardless of whether the symptoms you are experiencing are from a benign disorder as the above mentioned examples or related to a malignant origin, I would strongly suggest an evaluation by your physician.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us