Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: MASS AROUND SPLEEN?

MomOf4 - Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am

I am almost 34, Female and my urologist found a spot around my spleen. He said it wasnt a CYST and I was sent to an oncologist.
I got a PET scan and also bone marrow from my back/side was taken and they told me that it wasnt cancer and to come back in 4 months.
What could be around or on my spleen? The only facts I got was that if it WASNT a cyst then that's NOT GOOD but the oncologist said I am fine. I just want to know what could be on my spleen that is 2 inches(according to ultrasound)?
PLEASE OFFER ANY SUGGESTIONS..THANKS!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Dear Momof4

Is it around your spleen or in your spleen?! at which area from your spleen? The ultrasound can determine if it is a cyst or not...or if it is vascular or not.I am surprised that they jumped to PET scan before doing a simple CT scan with contrast? and you did have a bone marrow biopsy and they all came back negative? that is good.
I would advice to do a simple complete blood picture and LDH enzyme.get a CT scan to get a more precise picture .It could be from as simple as a blood clot from a previous traumato a lymph node,etc...it all depends on getting a CT scan and a better view of its nature and where it is at.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us