Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: CT Scans Cause Cancer?

Mrs2U - Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Since January of 2005, I have had 3 CT Scans of abdomen, pelvis and chest, one sinus ct, and complete heart scan, several mammograms to monitor an issue, and now it is requested that I have another abdoment, chest,pelvis scan this week. I'm concerned about all of the radiation that I'm getting from these xrays. Is this amount likely to cause a cancer? Thank you for your help! :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 10, 2006 5:46 am

User avatar Hi Mrs2U,
It is a well documented fact that high levels of radiation may cause cancer. However, during a CT Scan the lowest possible amount of radiation is used during the procedure to obtain an accurate image. The radiological studies potential benefit of identifying a disease process in the earliest identifiable stages outweighs the potential risk of exposures leading to cancer. Be sure the Radiologist is aware of the previous studies.