Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: CT Scans Cause Cancer?

Mrs2U - Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Since January of 2005, I have had 3 CT Scans of abdomen, pelvis and chest, one sinus ct, and complete heart scan, several mammograms to monitor an issue, and now it is requested that I have another abdoment, chest,pelvis scan this week. I'm concerned about all of the radiation that I'm getting from these xrays. Is this amount likely to cause a cancer? Thank you for your help! :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 10, 2006 5:46 am

User avatar Hi Mrs2U,
It is a well documented fact that high levels of radiation may cause cancer. However, during a CT Scan the lowest possible amount of radiation is used during the procedure to obtain an accurate image. The radiological studies potential benefit of identifying a disease process in the earliest identifiable stages outweighs the potential risk of exposures leading to cancer. Be sure the Radiologist is aware of the previous studies.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us