Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Could my brother have Lung Cancer

lowsugar - Wed May 17, 2006 11:21 am

My brother is 44 and he told me that they found a spot on his lungs and he have been having symptoms of Chronic cough, weight loss, shortness of breath, wheezing, repeated bronchitis, pneumonia, fatigue and chest pain. He also has been coughing up phlemn but not sure if there is blood or not. Could this be lung cancer or something else? Lung Cancer does not run in our family but cancer does. My brother is a smoker and he was also homeless for at least 7 years.

Thank you,
A Sister Needs to Know
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 18, 2006 2:43 pm

The information you provided is insufficient by itself. The details of the lung nodule is very important. The method of diagnosis as well as its relation to previous radiology is also very important.

It could be lung cancer or cancer that has spread from another area. At the same time it could be many other benign diseases of the lung.

Smoking is a major risk factor as I am sure you are aware.

Best of luck to him.