Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Painful, swollen lymph node in neck for over 6 months.

 deb - Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:27 am

I am female, 58, have severe fibromyalgia. I have had a painful, swollen, slightly hard lymph node in the right side of my neck for about 6-9 months. It seems to enlarge and become more painful with the flares of fibro. Sometimes it is so swollen and painful that it hurts to turn my head. I have used moist heat periodically and that seems to help some. Sometimes the pain radiates up into my ear. Is this just another horrible thing that goes along with fibro/cfs or could it be an even more horrible thing, like lymphoma. I have been to my md twice. I just received an antibiotic to take and he said he will send me to a surgeon if the antibiotic does not clear it up - so, I would like another opinion. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:44 am

User avatar Hi deb,
There has been documented research on the correlation of Fibromyalgia and enlarged lymph nodes. The enlarged lymph node may wax and wane during flare ups. However there are other causes of lymph node enlargement related to bacterial/viral etiologies and well as malignancies. The purpose for the antibiotic is if the enlargement is related to an infectious origin then the lymph node will decrease in size. Lymph nodes that continue to enlarge upon serial examinations, despite antibiotic treatment warrants some diagnostic studies, ie., labwork, CT Scan etc., Taking into consideration the location of involvement, a referral to a specialist (ENT) would be suggested.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us