Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: lump on anal opening.

sonyc - Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:36 pm

I have a lump near my anal opening. It is hard and i think its been there for years. probably more than 5 years. it is about the size of an m&m. I am not sure if it has grown over these years. I am 27 now. I never really gave it much attention till now. recently i have been having excessive gas. i think the lump only comes out after i use the stool. There is a little burning feeling assocated with the lump. there is usually no discomfort at all.

I have been reading on anal cancer, What does "Changes in bowel habits" mean exactly? does that mean how many times I have to use the bathroom each day? I am afraid that the lump I have is cancer. If it is cancer, since I had the lump for years now, should I have more symptoms?

I do not have blood in the stool. sometimes there is pain accocaited while going to the bathroom, rarely though.

thank you for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 pm

An anal mass could be due to a lot of things, including many benign diseases. Haemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, perianal haematomas, anal tags, polyps, warts or condylomas, anal abscesses can all present as an anal mass. Non-proctological lumps can also be present from time to time. These include sebaceous cysts and lipomas. Anal cancer is an uncommon disease, however, a palpable mass and/or bleeding is the presenting symptom in 50% of patients that get this rare disease.

About 25% of newly diagnosed patients with anal cancer do not have symptoms. Bleeding or palpable mass occurs in 50% of patients. Pain or spasm is a symptom in 40% of cases. Sensation of a mass (not palpable) occurs in 25% and pruritus in 15%. Coexistent conditions (ie, anal fistula, anal fissure, or hemorrhoids) are common. A high index of suspicion in the presence of a mass is warranted and a histological specimen should be taken whenever in doubt.

Change in bowel habits means a change in the frequency, consistency or amount. It is more of a concern in bowel cancer as opposed to anal cancer.

By all means have it checked as soon as possible.
 sonyc - Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 am

i have no been to my dr.'s yet but i plan to go very soon.

the lump has gotten much much smaller but there it is till there and there is a hard lump in the middle. Befire the lump was big enough to appear outside of the anal opening but now it is almost completely in. i recall that it comes out after diarreha or constpation but always the same lump will enlarge. sometimes there is pain at the lump when i have diarreha but right now it is painless/. if the lump does not go away, what can it be?

thanks for your help.