Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: lump on anal opening.

sonyc - Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:36 pm

I have a lump near my anal opening. It is hard and i think its been there for years. probably more than 5 years. it is about the size of an m&m. I am not sure if it has grown over these years. I am 27 now. I never really gave it much attention till now. recently i have been having excessive gas. i think the lump only comes out after i use the stool. There is a little burning feeling assocated with the lump. there is usually no discomfort at all.

I have been reading on anal cancer, What does "Changes in bowel habits" mean exactly? does that mean how many times I have to use the bathroom each day? I am afraid that the lump I have is cancer. If it is cancer, since I had the lump for years now, should I have more symptoms?

I do not have blood in the stool. sometimes there is pain accocaited while going to the bathroom, rarely though.

thank you for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 pm

User avatar Hello,

An anal mass could be due to a lot of things, including many benign diseases. Haemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, perianal haematomas, anal tags, polyps, warts or condylomas, anal abscesses can all present as an anal mass. Non-proctological lumps can also be present from time to time. These include sebaceous cysts and lipomas. Anal cancer is an uncommon disease, however, a palpable mass and/or bleeding is the presenting symptom in 50% of patients that get this rare disease.

About 25% of newly diagnosed patients with anal cancer do not have symptoms. Bleeding or palpable mass occurs in 50% of patients. Pain or spasm is a symptom in 40% of cases. Sensation of a mass (not palpable) occurs in 25% and pruritus in 15%. Coexistent conditions (ie, anal fistula, anal fissure, or hemorrhoids) are common. A high index of suspicion in the presence of a mass is warranted and a histological specimen should be taken whenever in doubt.

Change in bowel habits means a change in the frequency, consistency or amount. It is more of a concern in bowel cancer as opposed to anal cancer.

By all means have it checked as soon as possible.
 sonyc - Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 am

i have no been to my dr.'s yet but i plan to go very soon.

the lump has gotten much much smaller but there it is till there and there is a hard lump in the middle. Befire the lump was big enough to appear outside of the anal opening but now it is almost completely in. i recall that it comes out after diarreha or constpation but always the same lump will enlarge. sometimes there is pain at the lump when i have diarreha but right now it is painless/. if the lump does not go away, what can it be?

thanks for your help.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us