Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lymph nodes, headaches, stiffness, fatigue, HELP!!!

pennygaile - Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm

I am 41 year old overweight female. I had trouble with my lymph nodes swelling on the back of my head. I went to the doctor who tested me for strep throat and he said I had strep. Then I went and was tested for mono which I didn't have. This was in June. I was given RX and took all of that. I must say I had no throat problems except my mouth felt cottoney.

The problem and the part I am scared of is that the lymph node in my neck area has never went down. Also I have one lymph node on the base of my skull that swells up large, causes me to be so tired and can't sleep because my whole head and neck is in pain. I have no fevor. Just severe fatigue, stiff and painful neck, headache, and the node goes back down in 1 day but I feel miseaable for days. This is happening every month and twice in 2 weeks. I don't know what is happening and I am scared. Should I go back to the doctor or what? HELP!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:24 am

User avatar Hi pennygaile,
Lymph node enlargement typically related to an infectious process tend to decrease in size over a short period of time. Lymph node enlargement that persists or does not decrease in size over a short period of time, despite a course of antibiotic therapy would of course raise concern about the pathology or causative factor regarding enlargement. Regardless, notify your physician that you are continuing to experience symptoms.
 pennygaile - Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:29 am

I will make an appt and let you know the outcome. My concern was my headaches. My lymph node swelled suddenly on Friday and this is Tuesday and I still have a headache and it is worse lying down which makes sleeping troublesome. Thank you for your answer.