Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Bilateral Zoster & Lymphadenopathy

dorothyparker - Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Question: Should I proceed with biopsy?

I have been referred to a surgeon for an excisional lymph node biopsy in my neck. My doctor thinks I am probably just fine, but is still sending me to surgeon because the lymph node hasn't shrunk.

2004-present: night sweats (must change bed clothes in middle of night). Occurs occasionaly (maximum of 4x month). May just be perimenopause.

June 2006: Diagnosed with bilateral, multi-dermatomal herpes zoster. Outbreak presented in right trigeminal nerve and left back and arm. Bilateral zoster is extremely rare and is usually associated with a significant compromise of the immune system (AIDS, malignancy, etc.). Herpes Zoster in patients younger than 50 years suggests the possibility of underlying immunosuppressive condition.

June 2006:diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Titrated (Synthroid) to optimal levels as of November 2006.

September 2006: diagnosed with fibromyalgia (I have had it for years, and it is mild).

September 2006 to present: aching spleen; and enlarged right submandibular (or maybe jugular) lymph node >1cm. Lymph node is painless, rubbery, and gets bigger at night or when I have a cocktail.

November 2006 to present: unusual unexplainable dark bruising on legs. I have not had such bruising before.

-CT Scan shows non-specific splenic lesion, otherwise chest & abdomin look clear. They did not perform scan of neck.
-Blood tests ruled out Strep, Mono, HIV, SLE, HepA, HepB, HepC
-EBV past exposure: positive (VNA high, EBNC high)
-Sed rate: normal
-Lymphocyte count: low in August, normal in October.
-MPV - high
-Urine tests: normal

Thank you for any insights you may have.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:31 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your doctor would be better at answering that question than me. If there is even a slim possiblity that you may have lymphoma then its always best to get a biopsy.

This should be conducted on any significantly enlarged lymph node. However, lymph nodes of the head and neck are a bit more tricky. First they are usually more difficult to excise than the axillary lymph nodes. Second I would personally recommend a CT scan of the head and neck first before going on to doing a biopsy from the neck.

Sometimes lymph nodes of the head and neck are not lymphoma but could be due to a head and neck cancer. By performing a biopsy of neck lymph node some say you may compromise the efficiency of head and neck radiotherapy by distortion of the muscular planes.

Just because your doctor referred you to a surgeon for a biopsy doesn't mean your surgoen will do it right away. He will evaluate your condition and whether or not a biopsy is performed will depend on his assessment.

Keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us