Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Spots on glans penis

 Cav - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I am a 39 year old male. I have no personal or family history of any type of skin cancer, but I have had a four dysplastic moles removed in the last 5-10 years and also had some others shaved but the biopsies returned normal. I have dozens of other normal-appearing moles over by body as well. I am otherwise healthy and taking no medications. Since my first dysplastic mole, I have been checked by a dermatologist every year or two.

At a recent vist, I asked him to look at a mole on the underside of the shaft of my penis (he shaved that- biopsy was lentigo simplex). At the same time, he asked about some spots on the top of the head of my penis. He seemed a little concerned but didn't go so far as to recommend another shave biopsy. They have been there for some time, but I can't honestly remember how long. My best guess is at least a couple years but probably not 10 years or more.

There are three of them and they appear like dark freckles or even small moles. They are 1-2mm in diameter, slightly irregular in shape with fairly well defined borders. They are colored a somewhat darker red/brown than the surrounding tissue. They are completely flat and not raised above the skin, there is no itching, peeling, pain or anything else unusual. There are also a couple other lesser blemishes nearby, barely darker than the surrounding tissue. I'd call them "old age" spots for lack of a clinical description. They do not look like "Fordyce" spots that I've found in some photos while searching for information.

Does this type of spot seem unusual in this location? Is it advisable to get another opinion from another type of specialist rather then a general dermatologist? I'm a little reluctant to have a shave biopsy there for obvious reasons, unless it is clearly suspicious or unusual. Obviously I'm watching them for changes, but have noted none in the few months since I became concerned about them.

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:48 pm

User avatar Hello,

This would be very difficult to tell over the internet.

It could simply be postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. These are localized, macular, dark hyperpigmentation at site of a previous inflammation. They occur at any age and are a reaction to trauma (physical or chemical injury), skin irritation, or dermatoses. They maybe associated with an inflammation of skin because of underlying injury or condition at the initial time of occurrence.

Call the doctor that examined you and tell him about your concerns. If he tells you he thinks you shouldn't worry about it then all that will be required is to keep an eye on them from time to time. From your description it does appear that they are harmless.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us