Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Back of mouth lump

Jingle Bells - Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:35 am

Hey, I am 25, female. I recently discovered that at the back of my mouth, in the middle like nehind my uvula, there is a flesh coloured lump/growth, about 1.5cms. It seems to be quite hard. My whole throat seems quite red and I have had problems with tonsils before. It is more like a growth, I can't feel it, but noticed it when the roof of my mouth was sore one day and am now really worried. I have had problems with throat before, gurgling noises, feeling of a lump in throat etc...I had a barium swallow and a gastroscopy which appeared normal...about 2 years ago now.

I am really worried!

Uncle was diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal cancer a few years back. Noone else in family has a history.

On no current meds.
Please advise...going to see doctor asap, but in meantime...am really panicking.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:53 pm

What you have described is more likely to be a swelling in the oropharynx and not nasopharynx.

Although the main symptoms for oropharyngeal carcinoma are:
Persistent sore throat
Trouble swallowing
A lump in the back of the mouth or throat
Change in the voice
Pain in the ear

It is more common for swellings in this area to be of benign non malignant nature, like inflammatory lesion or lesions due to infection.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.
Best regards