Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: blood while making a movement

awholeparade - Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:00 pm

23/m for the past week anytime i have any alcohol i seem to have to go to the bathroom and i'm not sure if it's just blood or blood in my stool but i feel it's serious. any ideas?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Alcohol does have a diuretic effect causing increased urination. This is a normal finding. As to the rest of your question, I'm a little confused as to your symptoms. Are you possibly experiencing blood in your urine or with bowel movements?

Fill us in a bit more and I'll try to be of more help.

Thanks.
 awholeparade - Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:41 am

oh, i'm sorry i didn't explain well enough. it's occurring when i make a bowel movement. it could just be coincidence and have nothing to do with alcohol.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:34 pm

User avatar Do you experience a lot of blood, or just a little on the tissue? One of the most common causes of rectal bleeding is a small tear or fissure that has opened. Generally, once they heal the bleeding stops. Hemorrhoids (internal or external) can also cause bleeding and are relatively common.

If you are experiencing a lot of bleeding, I recommend you be evaluated by your doctor. If it's just a little you can give it a few days to see if it improves. If it is not improving, again, I would recommend an evaluation.

Happy New Year.
 awholeparade - Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:07 am

that sounds like what's going on. thanks for your help.