Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Painful Lump on Back of neck

Tiss - Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:47 pm

I was reading many of the post, and some were very similar but not. I have noticed this painful lump size of a nickle behind my left ear- up above my hair line almost center of my neck. It is very hard to the touch and painful. When pressed and messed with it gives me a headache. Family tells me to get this checked and it makes me worry, I just noticed this a few days ago. I am 36' Female with no serious medical issues. Can someone please shine some light on this.

Thank you so very much~
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 am

User avatar Hello,

The swelling you have described that is felt on the back of the neck behind the ear could be:
- It is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region.
Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender as you have described.

A history of scalp infected lesions, or Ear infection may be present, as this lymph node could be a reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group.

- The other possibility is an infected hair follicle (follicultis) which may involve with it the sebaceous glands and may form an abscess.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us