Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: hpv vaccine

clairebear9898 - Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm an 18 year old female who is not sexually active. Can someone give me more info about the new HPV vaccine? If I'm not having sex, and won't until I am married, do I need to get it?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:30 pm

The FDA has licensed the HPV vaccine to be safe and effective.

The HPV vaccine is given to 11-12 year-old girls, and women younger than 26 years old who have not completed the vaccine series.

It is used to prevent genital warts and cervical/vaginal cancers caused by certain types of HPV in girls and young women.

The efficacy of the vaccine is said to last for five years or more.