Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Neck Mass, Enlarged Nodes

WorriedPaul - Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:06 am

Hello,
I am a 21 year old male. I am in good health but I do have hypertension due to polycistic kidney disease. There is no history of lymphoma in my family and I have not had any surgeries in the past. I am very scared because about a month ago I noticed a very large and easily distinguashable mass in my right neck. The mass started decreasing but I saw a ent doctor because I was still very worried. The ent gave me an antibiotic and did a ct scan which revealed 7 mildly enlarged nodes in the middle portion of the right side of my neck. I also noticed that were a few enlarged nodes a little bit lower on my right neck (not supracavicular however). It has been about 25 days and the neck mass is almost gone. However, the enlarged nodes that are a lilttle bit lower than where the neck mass is are still there and have not decreased. I saw my general doctor and he said it is just an infection but I still do not feel reasured since these nodes have not gone away. I am really really afraid of lymphoma. Why do you think those bottom nodes havent gone away? I feel a little bit better that the neck mass is almost gone but even it isnt 100% gone. Could this be one of the slow indolent lymphomas? Is it common in an infection for the neck mass to regress very slowly and for at least 3 or 4 more nodes a little bit underneath to persistently be swollen? Or is it possible to rule out lymphoma since the neck mass is getting smaller and not bigger? Please help me, I am soo afraid.

Thanks.
 WorriedPaul - Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:54 am

I also wanted to clarify that I do not have any fever or any other symptoms whatsoever. There is also no immediate history of cancer in my family.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us