Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Armpit lump and pain

 sssimmon - Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 pm

29 year old male no history of cancer in family.

I have had a small lump (slightly smaller than a M&M) under one of my armpit that has been there for maybe 10 years. It showed up one day and stayed (I had mono at 18 which may be of relevance). I have had it looked at four times. Three doctors said it was not on a node and one said it was. They all thought it was a cyst. They all advised against removal but lately I have had throbbing coming from that area that goes down the arm to the wrist. This happens in both arms and wrists.

After the throbbing started I decided to have the lump removed just because it has always concerned me despite the doctors' diagnosis. When the dermatologist was cutting it out, after feeling it an circling it with a marker, he all the sudden could not find the lump. He said it must have been a "blood sack" that just deflated when he punctured it because no fatty tissue was found. The next day it was back. Did he get and it came back or did he actual miss it the first time...i don't know.

Anyway this lump along with the throbbing has me concerned. i don't even know f they are related. I do not have any other lumps or swollen nodes not even under my other arm where I also have throbbing. The throbbing is not constant.

Does anyone have any thoughts...i just want to know if something is wrong with me.

any help is appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar Hello,

Although it occurs in a lymph node region, the history you mentioned is not a typical one for lymph node enlargement.

Again the bilateral symptoms make this swelling less likely to be the cause for your current complaints as it does not occur in the other side. A surgical consultation and an US examination for this swelling may be very helpful for identifying the nature of this swelling.

Your symptoms could be related to skeletal problems like cervical disc or arthritis.
MRI for cervical region may be helpful.

I advise you to seek neurological consultation.

Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 sssimmon - Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks so much for the reply. This is more advise than i got from the four doctors I have visited. They just said "don't worry about it", while that is not good enough sometimes.

I will keep you updated should I find the answer.

Thanks again!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us