Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Moveable pea size lump in neck

elijahputnam - Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 am

I wanted to ask a question about a small lump under the skin of my neck.

It is located above the adams apple but to the left of it just under the chin.

is totally under the skin (not in the skin)

it is small about the size of a pea.

it is moveable

when i move it, it makes my neck sore if i keep doing it.

feels soft.

i have had it for a couple years now and it has not grown in size

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and could it be a lymph node

I have not had any symptoms and I feel fine. The only problem is that the lump is annoying sometimes when I remember it is there.

Elijah
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

User avatar You are correct, most likely this lump is a lymph node. The area you are referring to is known as the anterior cervical chain of lymph nodes.

It is quite common for a lymph node to be about a centimeter or so in diameter, soft/rubbery feeling, and mobile. Generally they are painless unless they become inflamed.

IIf you notice that the lump is getting bigger or painful you should have it checked out. Otherwise you can probably not worry about it.

Keep in mind that I haven't examined you. If you are concerned in any way I recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor.

Hope this helps.