Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Scared it could be cancer; enlarged tonsil, pharyngeal nodul

beavermatic - Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Im a slightly overweight 24 yr old male who has been pretty fit most of his life and healthy. I've dipped (snuff) on and off for the past 7 or 8 years (and have quit numerous times, at one point for nearly a year), and smoked every now and then.... though I do not drink.

For the past several months, I've had what appears to be slightly enlarged left tonsil, and some bumps behind the tonsil on the pharyngeal wall. I was hoping its just lympathic tissue, as I also have raised/reddish lingual tonsils on both sides of my tongue, but Im a bnit worried.

The tonsil looks a bit puffy, and it has some white streaks on the top of it, like small white scratches. Had halitosis ( bad breath) for a while, seems to have went away, and that I ahve not had a dip in about 5 months, and no longer plan to

I also still have my wisdom teeth, and while the top 2 have come in, the left bottom wisdom tooth is severely impacted, and I know it is swelling the gum area around my other back left molar and is often sore, (think its called Pericoronitis).

The only area where I usually feel any pain in my mouth is directly under my impacted left bottom wisdom tooth. Sometimes I can feel a bit of pain coming from the tonsil area, but not severe. I will also ntoice I do not feel any swollen lymph nodes, nor is there any actual sweeling in my neck/throat. I've gained alot of weight in the past 3 years (went from 200 to 275'ish) and while it may be from the weight, I've also suddenly started having sever sleep apnea (waking up gasping for air [usually as im trying to fall asleep], feels like i stop breathing) and I'm not sure if its related to whats in my throat.

I'm just worried its cancer, and I'm open to any suggestions, as I have not been to a dentist beacause I do not have insurance, to get an opinion beforehand is my only option because it will be extrmely expensive.

Many thanks, and I hope I'm worried over nothing...

~justin
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Although you are young, a painless unilateral swelling of the tonsil should always be investigated first hand. This is especially the case if the swelling is progressive in character.

I would advise you to seek direct medical attention to clear this out.

Please keep us updated.