Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Scared it could be cancer; enlarged tonsil, pharyngeal nodul

beavermatic - Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Hello,

Im a slightly overweight 24 yr old male who has been pretty fit most of his life and healthy. I've dipped (snuff) on and off for the past 7 or 8 years (and have quit numerous times, at one point for nearly a year), and smoked every now and then.... though I do not drink.

For the past several months, I've had what appears to be slightly enlarged left tonsil, and some bumps behind the tonsil on the pharyngeal wall. I was hoping its just lympathic tissue, as I also have raised/reddish lingual tonsils on both sides of my tongue, but Im a bnit worried.

The tonsil looks a bit puffy, and it has some white streaks on the top of it, like small white scratches. Had halitosis ( bad breath) for a while, seems to have went away, and that I ahve not had a dip in about 5 months, and no longer plan to

I also still have my wisdom teeth, and while the top 2 have come in, the left bottom wisdom tooth is severely impacted, and I know it is swelling the gum area around my other back left molar and is often sore, (think its called Pericoronitis).

The only area where I usually feel any pain in my mouth is directly under my impacted left bottom wisdom tooth. Sometimes I can feel a bit of pain coming from the tonsil area, but not severe. I will also ntoice I do not feel any swollen lymph nodes, nor is there any actual sweeling in my neck/throat. I've gained alot of weight in the past 3 years (went from 200 to 275'ish) and while it may be from the weight, I've also suddenly started having sever sleep apnea (waking up gasping for air [usually as im trying to fall asleep], feels like i stop breathing) and I'm not sure if its related to whats in my throat.

I'm just worried its cancer, and I'm open to any suggestions, as I have not been to a dentist beacause I do not have insurance, to get an opinion beforehand is my only option because it will be extrmely expensive.

Many thanks, and I hope I'm worried over nothing...

~justin
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 pm

User avatar Hello,

Although you are young, a painless unilateral swelling of the tonsil should always be investigated first hand. This is especially the case if the swelling is progressive in character.

I would advise you to seek direct medical attention to clear this out.

Please keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us