Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Having a hard time eating

purplerose - Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi, I am a 28 year old female with no known medical problems. I am not on any medication. I am a smoker and have been for 16 years and I am also over weight. This started about a year ago and in the last few monthes has gotton worse. I cant seem to eat meat or bread with out chocking, i have perfected the self hymlik because now it seems that whatever i eat unless in verry small protions i cant seem to get down. Its like it gets stuck not in my troat but at the bottom of the neck. I have stoped eating meat all togeather for fear of chocking to death. I don't have the money to go to the doctor but i was wondering if anyone knew what could cause this. I don't know if this is any way related to the above issue but i am also very tired all the time and seem to be short of breath when i do eat or do anything at all some days i don't even have the energy to get out of bed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:59 pm

User avatar Hello,

There are many causes of esophageal dysphagia. You can view a list of causes for this condition on our dysphagia page: dysphagia/dysphagia2.htm" class="postlink">click here!.

This is a serious symptom that requires immediate and direct medical attention. This is especially the case when the symptoms are progressive.

Please keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us