Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Neck Lump + Hives??

MJKD - Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:07 am

I am a 33 year old female. I have not had any recent infections, or surgeries. I'm not sure if these things have anything to do with one another at all but I thought I'd ask... Two weeks ago, I started to break out in rather large hives (they are decreasing in frequency, but I am still breaking out), when this started happening, I noticed a small lump on the back of my neck right under the base of my skull - on the right side. I thought it was just another one of my hives, but it has not gone away, and it does not itch...the only pain I've had in that area is a burning sensation in the back of my neck (once, during the night - and a headache one day with the same sensation both times after a rather restless night of sleep, so I may have simply slept wrong) Is this anything I should be concerned about?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:13 am

User avatar Hives are often thought of as an allergic reaction; however, there are many causes of hives including multiple viruses and other infections that can cause them.

The bump on your skull is likely a lymph node. This may go along with a viral infection causing the hives.

I would recommend that you see your doctor to be evaluated. Generally, hives are quite responsive to treatment and your doctor can recommend the best treatment for you.

Hope this helps.