Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: PAINFUL Lump on Arm

 n_pain - Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:15 pm

I am a 28 yera old female. I am unsure as to what this is on my arm. I have had 2 doctors look at it over the years and they both referred me to a surgeon. However, neither felt the need to do any tests. They merely pushed around on it which I might add was almost imbareable because of the pain. I have had this lump on my arm for about 20 years. I can remember having a painful lump on my arm when I was 8 or 9 years old, then the pain went away but the lump remained, just smaller then. It started out being abount the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil and now it has grew to approx. the size of a quarter. About 10 years ago, it began to feel sensitive to the touch. Sensitivity has become very painful to the simpliest touch. I catch myself making quick and unplanned guarding of the lump to try and prevent the lump from being bumped. If ever the lump is disturbed, SHARP, THROBBING, bolts of pain shoot down my arm to my finger tips and my arm becomes limp. I am worried that this lump has grown so big that it has affected nerves in my arm. There has been occurances that have happened without any contact to the lump. Tingling and Dull throbbing is almost a daily symptom. I do not know where to start. I have not taken any prescriptions for any of the symptoms. I do not recall any family members having any same problems. Family doctors are referring me to surgeons. I am not satisfied with seeing another doctor that is merely going to dip into my pocket to refer me to another one that maybe or miight know of another doctor. Can someone point me into the right direction of expertise or at least explain what this lump might be on my arm so I can try to find the right doctor for myself...........Signed ( n_pain )
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 am

User avatar There are not many things that can produce a lump on the arm. A few possibilities include a swollen lymph node or more likely a lipoma. A lipoma is a small, benign fat cell tumor. Generally they are harmless but can continue to become larger or painful.

I would tend to agree with your doctor. Probably the best person to see would be a surgeon. If they agree that it is a lipoma it can be removed (sometimes in the office depending on size/location). If it does not appear to be a lipoma they may be able to biopsy the mass to determine what it actually is.

Where on your arm is the mass?

Thanks, keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us