Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: 9 yr old daughter with swollen neck/hair loss/and enlarged t

seanym - Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm

My 9 yr old daughter had her physical and the Dr. says she has a very enlarged thyroid gland, and swollen neck. She also has been loosing alot of hair. He has taken blood to check for thyroid disease and ordered a neck ultrasound... What could all this be? I have had hypo thyroid diease and take synthroid. Is this hereditary? If so, what else is he looking for, as he was concerned about the swollen neck and hair loss?

Concerned mom [color=darkblue][/color]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:00 pm

User avatar I would be highly suspicious of hypothyroidism in your daughter. The symptoms you describe all fit hypothyroidism quite well. Interestingly, hyperthyroidism may also produce similar symptoms.

Some forms of hypothyroidism do have some genetic component.

Diagnosis of hyper/hypothyroid is quite simple and requires a blood test to look at the levels of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and T4 (one of the thyroid hormones). A high TSH and low T4 is hypothyroid; Low TSH and high T4 is hyperthyroid.

There are some more complicated aspects to this, but all the tests that have been ordered are appropriate. If hyper or hypothyroid are discovered, antibody tests should also be done to help decipher the underlying cause.

Treatment varies depending on the type of illness.

Best wishes, hope this helps.

Keep us updated.