Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Neck Lumps

Harryrodgers - Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:58 pm

I recently noticed two lumps on the on my wife's neck, one is on the left side just at hairline and the other is on the right side mid way between the hairline and the shoulder muscle. They are both hard and are about a cm in size. She is also experiencing a constant headache above her right eye. What could this be?

Female
32
She is currently being seen for bulging disc in C5-C6
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:27 pm

User avatar The locations you are describing fall in the cervical lymph node plexus. It is likely that your wife has some lymph nodes that were swollen at one point to fight an infection and subsequently never fully reduced in size. This is fairly common and leads to the term "shotty adenopathy" due to the lymph nodes feeling like BB's.

If the nodes are hard and immobile they should be examined to investigate the possibility of a cancerous node. If they are freely mobile and rubbery (or even somewhat hard) it is likely that they are OK.

If there are any concerns it is always best to have lymph nodes evaluated directly by a doctor.