Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: lump on thigh muscle

zoo - Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:37 pm

I have had a small (1/2 inch) hard, non-movable lump on my quadracept for about three months. It seems to be growing very slowly. The muscle tissue around it also is divited in.approximately one inch around the lump. I am a 51 year old female. I went to see my doctor last week and she said that it is nothing to worry about.... I must have injured my leg. I am racking my brain and cannot remember ever injuring that muscle. How does one tell the difference between a lump that should cause concern and one that is just from a (must be very long ago) past injury?
Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 am

User avatar Very commonly trauma to a muscle can produce a small hematoma (blood collection) that subsequently calcifies and causes a lump. Often the inciting event is unnoticed.

Your current approach is correct. Have it checked out by a doctor. If the lump begins to change or enlarge have it examined again. If there is continued concern futher testing should be done.