Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Right supraclavicular lymph node enlargement - advice?

oz_valdo - Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting for some advice. My mini story is:

I'm a 28 yr old mum of 2, and have been having some problems since before christmas. The first thing was a little lump which came up in my left armpit (no pain, just slight discomfort).
I was given some antibiotics to clear it up, but the following day i can down with a kidney infection and was given some excellent antibiotics for it (thus forgetting about the lump which went down anyway). I also had a blood count done mid Nov, and was told i have low white cell count (no treatment neccessary).

Around the same time, i also developed a sore throat and now still have a more husky voice, with a difficulty swallowing (it feels like i am holding my throat tightly) - not terrible, but uncomfortable.
I have also had an absolute tiredness which i just cannot shake and have been having breathlessness for about 6 months (i had astma as a child and assumed that it had returned).

My G.P referred me to ENT clinic in jan. I saw Dr there who arranged for bloods and a thyroid ultrasound (am due to go back in 3 weeks for result but am assuming nowt serious as it's been a few weeks since i had it done).

The only thing thats really bothering me is that i have a swollen lymph node above my right collarbone (it's been the same size since jan) - i think it's the supraclavicular. It feels about the size of a malteser and i think it might be pressing on a nerve of something because my right arm often feels like i've been given a 'dead arm'.
I can feel a couple of much smaller bumps around the same area (but i'm not sure that they are abnormal). Also, i now have a dull aching in both armpits.

I have also recently (last 2 weeks) developed a lump in my mouth, on the gum behind my bottom front teeth. This is only size of a small pea, but is quite hard, no pain though, the same goes for a lump behind my right ear.

I have read about Hodgkins and NHL and am a bit of a hypochondriac who assumes the worst, but was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion. I feel really embarrassed going back to my G.P (again) but do feel rather anxious about it. Obviously, because i have now read up a bit on HL/NHL, i'm prepared to accept that some of the symptoms could be in my head, but the lymph node definately isnt (i've made everyone i know confirm this!!)

Many thanks in advance x

P.S, just read the stuff i should include;

28 year old female, no previous illnesses. No significant family history of cancers.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:59 pm

User avatar Your symptoms in general are consistent with a viral infection. Most likely this is what is causing the lymph nodes you are noticing to swell.

However, I would suggest that you see your doctor to have the nodes evaluated. Lymphoma or other cancers can present this way.

oz_valdo - Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Dr Chan Lowe,

Many thanks for your reply, I have an apt with ENT in 2 weeks so will discuss this with him.

This is a fab place for worried peeps to get a little reassurance (or a kick up the bum should they need it).

I'll post an update soon.

Thanks again.