Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Right supraclavicular lymph node enlargement - advice?

oz_valdo - Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting for some advice. My mini story is:

I'm a 28 yr old mum of 2, and have been having some problems since before christmas. The first thing was a little lump which came up in my left armpit (no pain, just slight discomfort).
I was given some antibiotics to clear it up, but the following day i can down with a kidney infection and was given some excellent antibiotics for it (thus forgetting about the lump which went down anyway). I also had a blood count done mid Nov, and was told i have low white cell count (no treatment neccessary).

Around the same time, i also developed a sore throat and now still have a more husky voice, with a difficulty swallowing (it feels like i am holding my throat tightly) - not terrible, but uncomfortable.
I have also had an absolute tiredness which i just cannot shake and have been having breathlessness for about 6 months (i had astma as a child and assumed that it had returned).

My G.P referred me to ENT clinic in jan. I saw Dr there who arranged for bloods and a thyroid ultrasound (am due to go back in 3 weeks for result but am assuming nowt serious as it's been a few weeks since i had it done).

The only thing thats really bothering me is that i have a swollen lymph node above my right collarbone (it's been the same size since jan) - i think it's the supraclavicular. It feels about the size of a malteser and i think it might be pressing on a nerve of something because my right arm often feels like i've been given a 'dead arm'.
I can feel a couple of much smaller bumps around the same area (but i'm not sure that they are abnormal). Also, i now have a dull aching in both armpits.

I have also recently (last 2 weeks) developed a lump in my mouth, on the gum behind my bottom front teeth. This is only size of a small pea, but is quite hard, no pain though, the same goes for a lump behind my right ear.

I have read about Hodgkins and NHL and am a bit of a hypochondriac who assumes the worst, but was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion. I feel really embarrassed going back to my G.P (again) but do feel rather anxious about it. Obviously, because i have now read up a bit on HL/NHL, i'm prepared to accept that some of the symptoms could be in my head, but the lymph node definately isnt (i've made everyone i know confirm this!!)

Many thanks in advance x

P.S, just read the stuff i should include;

28 year old female, no previous illnesses. No significant family history of cancers.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:59 pm

User avatar Your symptoms in general are consistent with a viral infection. Most likely this is what is causing the lymph nodes you are noticing to swell.

However, I would suggest that you see your doctor to have the nodes evaluated. Lymphoma or other cancers can present this way.

Best wishes.
 oz_valdo - Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Dr Chan Lowe,

Many thanks for your reply, I have an apt with ENT in 2 weeks so will discuss this with him.

This is a fab place for worried peeps to get a little reassurance (or a kick up the bum should they need it).

I'll post an update soon.

Thanks again.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us