Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Swelling in the breasts

godfather - Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:07 pm

Im a 19 year old male, when I was around 13 I got swelling in the left breast, I got it checked out and the docter told me that it was nothing and it may also happen to the right breast later on.

about 6 months or so later the right breast swelled up, is there anyway to get rid of this besides surgery?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Your condition is termed gynecomastia. It sounds as if you experienced the breast swelling occurred around the time of puberty. This is quite common.

The size of the breast swelling varies. If it is significant it may not completely reduce in size. There are a few medical treatments that can be tried that have varying degrees of success. The most successful treatment is surgery.

I would suggest you talk with your doctor about possibly trying a medical treatment before surgery if you desire. Be sure to discuss the side effects of the medicines so you can make an educated decision.