Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Epididymitis? Lump on Testicle

worriedguy - Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:42 am

I am a 20 year old male. About 9 weeks ago (February 16th) I visited a doctor, having a mildly painful, swollen right testicle, with a round lump(connected to the testicle) on it. It was diagnosed as Epididymitis and the doctor put me on Banocide for a week. 2 weeks later as the lump was still around (though not swollen or painful), I went back, and was put on the same treatment for 6 weeks.

Lately I have 2 lumps on my right testicle, and it's paining again( entire right groin area). Yesterday, I went to another doctor, who didn't examine me, but put me on banocide, a pain killer, Ranitin( Ranitidine hydrochloride) and FIXX LB (Cexifime?) . Both doctors laughed away the possibility of cancer when I mentioned it, but I'm not convinced. How long does Epididymitis treatment usually take?

I am currently in college in a small town(more like village) in India with very limited medical facilities, and my next visit home (a large city with hospitals etc. ) is months away. Considering that 2 doctors have discounted cancer as a possible diagnosis, can this wait?

Thank You for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:15 pm

User avatar The epididymus is found sitting directly on top of the testis. When it becomes infected it produces pain.

If you are feeling the epidydimus I am not suprised that the lump has not gone away as it shouldn't. However, the pain should resolve.

If the pain has returned you may have a recurrent infection that would require treatment with antibiotics.

I would also suggest that you have a culture performed to look for an antibiotic resistant bug that may explain the return of your symptoms.

Typically (though not 100% of the time) cancerous lumps are quite hard and non-painful.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us